Monday, November 11, 2013

Civil War Cemetery and Collection

I found this in my Draft folder, completely forgotten. Not sure why I never posted this from last year, so Veterans Day seemed a good day to publish it. Many prayers and thanks to our military!!! God bless them.

My dad and I visited this civil war cemetery located in Magnolia, MS sometime last year.
Processed with Pioneer Woman's "Heartland" action







It seems odd that flowers were placed here since this soldier has been dead for 150 years.
Perhaps they blew over from another grave.
Processed with Coffee Shop's Vanilla Bakery Glaze action.


This is a small sampling of my dad's Civil War collection. The collection has grown since I last took these photos, so I need to go back and document the new pieces.

My dad actually eats with this spoon. He likes the idea that someone with the initials O.E.F. actually used it 150 years ago.

Same with the fork.

Proudly posing with some of his antique rifles.




An actual bullet that struck the handle of the rifle during the Civil War. 

See the piece of flint in the thingamajig? It somehow created a spark which fired the gun. I'm sure I explained that perfectly. :)

Not sure if this is a Civil War era knife, but it's kind of cool.
Daddy decorated it himself by painting the handle
and adding the tiger eye.


21 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Amazing collection!!! You don't want Bud seeing all this stuff, he'd be on your dad's doorstep trying to convince him to sell. LOL

Yes, by the way, your explanation made perfect sense to me.

Nancy said...

Moving images Gail. xo

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Gail I love this post it tugged at my heart. Love your Dad's smile. Hug B

Optimistic Existentialist said...

This is a truly amazing collection. Wow. Like taking a trip back into time....

eileeninmd said...

Gail, perfect post for Veteran's Day! And what an amazing collection of images and your Dad's Civil War collection. Thanks for sharing, enjoy your week ahead!

TexWisGirl said...

the perfect alignment of the gravestones was like the servicemen were still on duty. *sigh*

Our photos said...

It's great that you have chosen these pictures as a reminder

Stephanie said...

My dear Gail, your photos brought tears to my eyes as I think of the many men and women that have sacrificed so much for our country - thank you, friend, for sharing. Your dad has a beautiful collection and I enjoyed looking at the photos :) Hugs to you!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What a neat collection! Wonderful photos :-)

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm amazed that your dad still eats with that very old spoon! He has a great smile.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Your dad has quite an amazing collection! And definitely a good post for the day.

hootnonny said...

Always interesting to read about your dad. Cool items he has, particularly the knife with the eyeball!

renae said...

Very interesting photos, dear friend.

Baby Z got to go home today!!!!!

Oh I am so glad and I so appreciate your prayers! Oh my gosh, Gail you are a dear saint in my book.

Enter my Giveaway I have rolling, for ONLY MY current followers. enter.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

A great post, Gail. The Civil War was such a dark time in our country's history. I can understand your dad's fascination with it. He's got quite a collection. I'll be watching for him to appear on the Antiques Road Show someday. :)

Anonymous said...

The Civil War was such an upheaval in our nation... I had great-great uncles and my great-great grandfather who were Union sympathizers in the northwestern mountains of NC and they were conscripted into the Confederate Army, from which they went AWOL and hid in the mountains until the war was over... Thank you for remembering and honoring our veterans today.

Shug said...

Absolutely gorgeous and perfect post!!
Amazing photography...
shug

Suzan said...

Always - beautiful pictures!! Lovely Cemetery shots and I want to think that someone special laid the rose at the head stone. My Dad also collected civil war knives and rifles!! What a "gem" the rifle with the bullet in the handle!! AWESOME!!

Anonymous said...

What a touching post.

Carletta said...

What a perfect post for today (yesterday now, I'm so late).
I love the perspective you used for the grave stones.
My favorite image was the one with your Dad's hands on the gun in that sepia tone. Something about it. Maybe because I grew up seeing my Dad's hand poised on his so many times this time of year during deer season. It just touched me.
I think it's terrific he uses the spoon and fork. so many times we have things that just accumulate and we don't take much notice but actually using them puts more focus and appreciation on them.

Starla said...

Love your dad's collection!! And I find it so neat that he actually eats with the the flatware!!

Anonymous said...

Touching photos of the cemetery. Lovely tribute to those brave souls.
Your dad has a cool collection.