Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Grand Time!

The weekend of October 4, we were so pleased to have two of Double D's children and three grandchildren come visit us for the first time since we moved to Baton Rouge. They're my kids, too, but my children have all visited, and I didn't want to confuse anyone.

Given some choices on what they wanted to do, the French Quarter won out unanimously. Although the day involved a trip to the hospital and a fender bender (unrelated events), overall it was a fantastic day. Since Hurricane Karen was threatening, I left Bertha at home; therefore, all the below shots were taken with the phone.


The famous Pat O'Brien's

Despite the possibility of a real hurricane, the girls jumped right in
and had their own. Those things are too strong for me!


Double D photobombed this shot and I didn't even notice until
I pulled it up on the computer. What the what is he doing back there! lol

Courtney (left) has lost 110 lbs and Lindsay has also lost a lot of weight doing
Beach Body. They look great! Such sweet and beautiful girls.



Shortly after Cami had her portrait done (a special treat for doing so well in school), Courtney
started vomiting and experiencing severe chest pains.
On the corner of Chartres and Bienville Sts. I called 911 and the medics arrived promptly.
We all have our own theories as to what occurred, but the diagnosis at Tulane
Medical Center was an anxiety attack. Hard to believe since we were having so much fun.
Thank God she's okay.



At the end of the evening, finally home, Seth talked Sparky into a game of Go Fish.
We later found Sparky under the bed protecting a Jack of Hearts, growling at anyone who tried to take it.
Double D's ex-wife and her husband generously let us use their enormous luxury van to travel in. Double D was doing a good job of getting us places in his patient, steady manner. After we picked up Courtney from the hospital, we needed gas, so we pulled into a station where we were quickly boxed in by three other cars; one in front, one in back and one on the side. Trying his best to maneuver us out in reverse, he scraped the front fender of the car behind us. The man was really upset at first, but Double D has such a calm nature that the man eventually told us to go and not worry about it. "I'm a nice guy", he said loudly in his N'awlins accent. I should say! That was a pretty long scrape on his bumper. And I felt terrible that now both sides of the van's bumper have matching boo-boos. Sorry guys!!!!!

We crammed a lot into two days, but it was worth it. I think the kids enjoyed Louisiana and will be back for more.

33 comments:

Amy Burzese said...

Looks like a fun day with family. A day trip would be just the thing for me. New Orleans would take too much out of this old woman.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Gail you are as talented with a camera phone as you are with Bertha I love the shots you have captured an incredible day I would love to see this someday.
Sorry about Cami that is scary and I am happy it all worked out. LOVE LOVE the Jack of hearts story has me laughing. What a great couple of days you showed your lovely family. Hug B

Chatty Crone said...

Okay the only thing that is wrong with those pictures is that I am not in it with you having FUN! Looked to me like a great time. sandie

Betty Manousos said...

looks like a fun day was had by all.
i did enjoy your delightful photos, gail.

have a great day from start to finish.

big hugs~

Willow said...

What a great family outing ! Oh what is a little scrape , no harm done :) Wonderful share.
LOVE seeing Sparky playing fish too ~ just too stinkin cute !!!!! Love Sparky.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Sounds like a wonderful two days! I have always wanted to go to the French Quarter. Ah, someday :)

hootnonny said...

So much excitement in two days! Glad Courtney is ok...she must have seen what my son-in-law saw in broad-open daylight on one of those porches (or is it a portico?).

What a nice looking family yall have! Does Cami belong to Lindsay and the other two to Courtney?

TexWisGirl said...

sorry about the scrape (for both vehicles) and worse about the scare (glad she was okay!) but it looks like a great time, otherwise. love the sisters drinking the hurricanes. double d is sneaky. :)

Karen said...

Looks like everyone had fun! I love that mask!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

That looks so fun! I might try one of those hurricanes, but I will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER (NEVER!) drink another hand grenade.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great time with the family.

Unknown said...

I would love to visit there sometime. LOVING your photos.

Hugs~

Shug said...

Glad that Courtney is feeling better and that it wasn't something far much worse. Sounds like a fun filled day that results in memories to come for years down the line. Beautiful family you all have....Enjoyed seeing these sweet photos..
hugs gurl.
Shug

Nancy said...

It doesn't matter what kind of camera is in your hands you make magic...These shots are just awesome and what a great reminder of two fun filled days together as a family...I am sorry about the "incidents" that happened but alls well that ends well......

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

I have to agree with those who have said that, no matter what equipment you use, you get great photos. This was such a fun post, with all the shots of family enjoying each other and their surroundings. Courtney's weight loss is amazing and inspirational. I have to know...is the story about Sparky and the Jack of Hearts really true? It made me laugh.

Evelyn S. said...

The two sisters and that eldest daughter make a lookalike trio! Glad you had such a great time. (Don't suppose that Hurricane drink had anything to do with the emergency sickness...did it?)

Brian King said...

It looks like everyone had a great time! Sorry about Courtney, but glad it wasn't anything too serious. Really nice family photos!

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

love the photo's..looks like everyone had a wonderful time.
N.O. is one of my favorite places... i visited with my twin sister some years ago and feel in love with the city and it's people. Pat O'Brien's hurricanes are legendary and a favorite of mine!!! no one makes them like they do!!!
thanks for sharing your trip!! brought back many wonderful memories for me!! i hope to someday visit again.

Tricia said...

I sure looks like everyone had lots of fun...minus the sickness and fender scrape, of course. Just think of all the great memories you made :)

Suzan said...

Looks like everyone was having way too much fun!! It's been years since I've been to New Orleans, so I'm taking Danny there for spring break!! I can't wait. Super WOW - 110 pds.!! She is blessed that she was able to loose that amount! It's hard work!! They both are to be commended!

eileeninmd said...

Wow, what a fun time with the family! I have never been to New Orleans, it looks great! Congrats to the girls on their weight loss. Your phone photos are wonderful. Have a happy day!

Anonymous said...

Great shots of a fun day out.

Kim Stevens said...

Oh, these all look like so much fun. I was at the French Quarter for half a day on our way back to Texas from Florida, and boy do I wish I could have stayed longer!

My favorite it the photo bombed picture, so cute, and such a story!

Stewart M said...

Looks like a good day!

The fire was good, and the glass of wine even better!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Hootin Anni said...

...in my opinion, one of the best places in N'Oleans!!!

Your family outing looks like a lot of fun was had by all.

Great images.

renae said...

Oh those were fun photos. Too bad Courtney got sick like that. Playing cards with a dog is a great idea or at least a fun photo op! lol

Pallavi said...

Looks like you had a great day out dear Gail . The pictures depict so much of fun! Enjoy :)

EG CameraGirl said...

I think it would be great to be part of your family! Everyone in the photos looks like real nice people.

Anonymous said...

Love this collection! Looks like a fun time was had by all! Love that mask! Awesome! Big hugs to you, xoxo

Carletta said...

What fun! These are wonderfully captured memories of your day.
I LOVE that mask shot!
110 pounds is awesome. I've been working on 20 for months. :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It sounds (in spite of the two problems) like a great family day (and it was NOLA after all, you've gotta expect some trouble don't you think? Darling family

Courtney said...

I posted a comment with my phone, but it disappeared! Ha! We are all doing fine - including myself! I'm feeling great and had a follow up with my doctor a week after our visit and he looked at my labs from Tulane and agreed there were no signs of any pulmonary embolism, but disagreed with the anxiety attack diagnosis. He is confident that the combination of rich food (that was DELICIOUS) with the humidity, and the *ahem* alcohol led to my demise. All good now, though, and I have an appointment with a cardiologist next Friday for a stress EKG just in case. To answer a couple of questions in the comments...
1) The kiddos are all mine. Camryn was blessed with Lindsay's gorgeous hair and those two are quite a pair! Super close and love to be together!
2) The Go Fish game story with Seth and Sparky is 100% true! Gail even got some video of them playing. Entertainment for all of the humans - Sparky took it VERY seriously. ;) Great pics all around, Gail! Can't wait for visit #2! Love y'all so much!!