Monday, October 26, 2009

Close Call

Last night I was taking the last flight out of Baton Rouge with my youngest son, Michael, who was happily listening to music on his Shuffle. Halfway through the journey our "crop duster", aka American Eagle plane, took a sharp dive and started rocking from side to side. Michael's drink, as well as many others, flew up in the air and the sticky contents landed all over him and on my hand. Being drenched with Pepsi was the least of our concerns. Our hands became intertwined tightly, somewhat convinced we were going to plunge to the hard earth. It was like a roller coaster ride that seemed to last forever, when in actuality it only lasted maybe a minute or two. I was consumed with fear, hoping we would make it out alive.

Of course, we did make it through as evidenced by this post, but it made me think more about how fragile life is and how we take one another for granted, as though we'll always be able to see each other whenever we want, when nothing could be further from the truth.

I always thought that in this type of situation the first thing I would do is start praying to God. But I did nothing of the sort. Fear had truly consumed me and I am ashamed that I did not turn to the God I have leaned on and trusted my whole entire life. I think I need to reevaluate my relationship with Him.

After it was over Michael said, "I thought I was going to die listening to Lil Wayne. I mean he's from New Orleans and everything which is cool, but I wanted to go out listening to somebody of significance...like Jimi."

2 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

I knew you weren't going to die because I was reading your blog. But those were scary minutes -- my heart raced at the thought -- I hate flying in and out of Baton Rouge, especially on those dreadful 'cropdusters' -- 'cruel and unusual punishment' comes to mind -- but loved your Jimi ending, yes!

Gail Dixon said...

Yes, I laughed when my son said that, too; however, that's who I would want to die listening to as well. Well, Jack White is getting pretty close to Jimi at the present time. :)