Thursday, March 27, 2008

FNL Update

Last month I joined one of those “Save Friday Night Lights” campaigns, mailing a miniature football to Ben Silverman at NBC. One week later it was punted back to me with the word “REFUSED” written on the box. At that point, I lost all hope. The word REFUSED said more to me than “Take your stupid box and shove it.” It was saying “We don’t believe in the stupid show, so take your foolish efforts and shove it. If you refuse to submit to watching 30 Rock as we suggested, then we have no use for you and your laughable taste.” Yeah, they might as well have said all that on the box.

I miss this show in the worst way, so I went googling and found a blog by Nikki Finke which addressed the precariousness of FNL, season 3. She writes a Hollywood and media business column for LA Weekly and owns, edits, and publishes a blog called Deadline Hollywood Daily. The following sentence made me jump for joy: I CAN REPORT THAT THE THIRD SEASON IS SAVED. The post in its entirety may be found here.

Hallelujah! Apparently, it took a partnership with DirecTV to rescue it: The answer came in a deal with DirecTV, now owned by John Malone's Liberty Media. Clearly Malone is looking to distinguish DirecTV from its rivals on a content as well as price basis. "It's an innovative deal where NBC found a partner who will share costs and exhibition windows," an insider explained to me. So both NBC and DirecTV will be airing Friday Night Lights across multipurpose platforms.

I don’t really understand what multipurpose platforms or exhibition windows signify, nor do I care what depths they had to go to. It’s SAVED! All is well in my TV watching world again.

No comments: