Interesting facts about the American White Pelican:
- The collective nouns for pelicans are "brief" "pod" "pouch" "scoop" and "squadron."
- They consume 4 pounds of food per day.
- AWPs scoop their food unlike the brown pelicans who plunge-dive.
- They sometimes work together to herd fish into shallow water.
- During breeding season adults grow a protrusion near the bill tip.
- One of the largest North American birds.
- Parents must provide approx. 150 pounds of food for their chicks from birth until they're ready to forage for themselves.
- The oldest known AWP was 23-1/2 years old and was banded in North Dakota in 1983.
|I told you to stop tailgating, Junior!|
Had a very upsetting morning on Saturday. Someone impersonating my son called my dad saying he was hurt and needed money--$1500 to be exact--said his lawyer would call later. The "lawyer" indeed called and asked for three $500 prepaid cards to be sent. Red flag! I was able to get in touch with my son and found he is okay. This ruse is called the Grandparents Scam, and there are many articles on the internet about it. It almost caused me to have a heart attack. My dad and stepmom were obviously upset by it also. Please be careful, y'all!