Friday, April 4, 2014

Geodad

A few days ago I went to Bluebonnet Swamp to check out the owl/owlet situation. No sightings of the chicks or their parents, but I was blessed enough to witness a male prothonotary warbler enticing a female into a nesting station. There are nineteen of these stations in the swamp, three of them very close to the barred owls' nesting site.

This little chap is named Geodad--so named because he is one of four prothonotary warblers that were netted and banded last year with geo-locator software to track their migratory patterns . Out of the four original experiments, Geodad was the only one to return to the swamp after 300+ days. He was recaptured and the software removed for analyzing. We are all excitedly awaiting the results of his adventure. Here is the Facebook page to the Louisiana Bird Observatory who led the experiment if you're interested.

Sorry for the deluge of photos; I don't normally post this many, but I couldn't leave some of these on the cutting room floor. :) Nesting Station 11 (below) is the closest one to the barred owls' nest. If these two love birds choose this nest we will be doubly blessed!
Geodad scouting the location.

Okay, it's pre-fab but seems solidly constructed. Lovely interior. I think she'll like it!

Darling!!!! I've found our new abode! The view is fantastic!

Waiting....

Come in, my love! It's perfect for us!!

Well....I'm not sure about this one Geo.

It could be a little more plush on the inside. Try again!!

Geodad returns later.
What's wrong with it? I think it's beautiful.

Location location location!! You're hard to please, woman!

Oh, all right. I'll give it another chance.

Let me just grab a quick bath!

Hold your horses! Give me a chance to dry off. I don't want to get the new floors wet.
Please visit and check out other wild birds around the world. Thanks so much to the hosts!
Wildbird Wednesday
I'd Rather B Birdin'

48 comments:

Roan said...

Gorgeous birds! Love the dialogue!

Hootin Anni said...

Beautiful Gail!!!
Bud and I saw the male of this bird just this last week. They're so pretty. And I learned their name is from the clerks/judges of the catholic church...who in history, wore yellow robes.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

What beautiful birds!! You truly live in a bird-lover's paradise :)

maryaustria said...

Such little beauties! This color! :) Gorgeous photos!

Anvilcloud said...

You go, Geodad!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

seriously cool pictures!!

Suzan said...

I haven't read posts most of the week. Still in the Pontatrain Hotel (know it's spelled wrong - typing in the dark) but getting ready to head for home!! Have had a wonderful time here in NO!! Love the street cars and the food.
But one of the birds seemed to be band. And was this bird box made to be a bird box. It appears to be trash sitting on a barrel with a very nice size hole.

Suzan said...

OK- I reread your first paragraph - these are nesting stations!! Explains all my questions!

Suzan said...

OK- I reread your first paragraph - these are nesting stations!! Explains all my questions!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

gorgeous birdies. love that color. ( :

Indrani said...

Mind blowing captures and I like the story. :)

Brian King said...

Beautiful yellow! Great shots of these guys! The house looks like a fool storage container.

Willow said...

So glad you posted all of then ~ loved it !!!

hootnonny said...

LOL! Such beautiful lovers.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Great captures of these beautiful little birds. Love the commentary.
Had me smiling all the way through.

Anonymous said...

What a cute series about this househunting couple!

Stephanie said...

Absolutely amazing, my friend! I just love the third picture of him peeking his head out the hole and then the one of him bathing in the water is incredible!

These would definitely be among my favorites from you :) Hugs and blessings!

TexWisGirl said...

gosh, they're beauties! prefab made me LOL! i hope they'll settle in, though.

Unknown said...

Yep... Your post has me smiling at my computer once again my friend. I LOVE these shots.

Hugs~

Kim Stevens said...

This was the absolute cutest post ever! Has me smiling from ear to ear! Did you make that little house out of a plastic leftover container I'm wondering?

Ruth Hiebert said...

I'm smiling. I love this series of photos and comments. i do hope they set up a home there.

Unknown said...

Wonderful photos! The colour is so pretty.

Melissa said...

What a great series of shots! :)

barbara l. hale said...

Precious birds! I'm so glad you posted all the pics!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Gail This is a wonderful series of shots of this beautiful little birds. Have a great weekend.

Ela said...

What gorgeous birds and great shots ! Have a happy weekend :)

Ela said...

What gorgeous birds and great shots ! Have a happy weekend :)

Inspired By June said...

Can you ever post too many pictures? No apology necessary! Thanks, Gail, this made my day! Do tell us more about Geodad once his adventures have be analyzed!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Well that's just fascinating about Geodad!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful captures and a funny conversation, Gail. It's also a very interesting post. The nesting stations and the tracking, the date obtained must be impressive!

Amy Burzese said...

Such sweet little things to have such a long name. Glad you showed all of their antics.

Charlotte Wilson said...

Your captions just crack me up! I am laughing. Love the shots and learning about a new bird.

Debbie said...

i really enjoyed this....beautiful birdies, sweet couple!!

eileeninmd said...

They are beautiful warblers, Lovely captures and series of photos. Happy weekend!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

What a beautiful bird. I loved the whole series, and the running dialogue was a hoot. If bird houses can be made from plastic food containers, I could start an apartment complex. :)

Kathy said...

What a cute post! And love the pictures, of course, of these beautiful little birds.

renae said...

Oh Gail! That was so fun. I loved it!!! Not too many photos at all. It told a great LOVE story. lol

Have a fun weekend cleaning, I guess. Dang! Love ya!

Anita Johnson said...

Amazing....I had to look at them twice!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh how cute- I hope they stay!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

So darn cute. The whole post. Did I mention before that you definitely have got your photo (and caption) mojo back? (Not that I ever noticed there was a problem, but you seemed to.) Your posts are just so pretty and so much fun.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

So darn cute. The whole post. Did I mention before that you definitely have got your photo (and caption) mojo back? (Not that I ever noticed there was a problem, but you seemed to.) Your posts are just so pretty and so much fun.

Stewart M said...

Great looking birds - I whorl with a group that puts the geolocators on waders. Remarkable journeys.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Starla said...

I enjoyed the commentary as much as the beautiful photos!
I'm so in awe of the amazing color these love birds have!

EG CameraGirl said...

How exciting to get so many wonderful photos of the warbler!

rainfield61 said...

She might be thinking about house-warming.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful. Like droplets of sunshine.

LC said...

Delicious--both the photos and captions. Delightful photo story. The little male's seductive peeking out the entry was the perfect icing.

Carole M. said...

FABULOUS little bird; you were onto a winner Gail